The Difference Between Talent and Skill in Real Estate



Real estate is a complex business. It can be made easier by focusing on building up your skills.

Looking to improve your real estate career? I'm here to help you make a smart decision when it comes to growing your business, improving your bottom line, and choosing a place to work in real estate sales. If you'd like to learn more about working with Clancy Real Estate, contact me at (518)861-7016 or Kevin@ClancyRealEstate.com.

I want to share a couple of quick stories today. Our Zillow rep was in town a few weeks ago and we went out to dinner with him. He was asking about how Zillow plays a role in our business. I told him it was great for finding leads, but it was only one of the pillars of lead generation we use in our business. Whether it’s farming, circle prospecting, referrals, FSBOs, or radio and TV ads, we have many pillars in our business.

I told the rep that Zillow was great and we loved our leads from it, but all of it collapses if you don’t have skills. By that, I mean you need to know your numbers and know the industry. You need to know what you’re going to do to convert those leads once you get them, or everything falls apart. 

Talent is what you are born with. In order to build talent, you need skills. Skills only come with hours and hours of hammering on your craft. The other story I want to tell is a perfect example of why skills are invaluable in this business.

Everyone has talent, but not everyone has skills.

I had a client come into my office recently who I have been working with for the last six or seven years. He has probably sent me 10 to 15 referrals over the years that have resulted in probably over $100,000 in GCI. We were talking about the first time we met.

He said the thing that struck him most about me was that I knew all about his company, the market, and the business world in general. The only way I knew any of that stuff is because I read about it every day. Had I not known my business and my numbers, that relationship (and those referrals) might have never happened.

Having different pillars of lead generation is important to building a successful business. However, those pillars mean nothing if you don’t put in the work to develop the necessary skills for converting them to business. 

If you have any other questions for us, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We would love to hear from you soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment